Do you want to get your press release distributed quickly and easily?
Great, this article will help you do that.
Our 20+ years of PR experience have taught us a lot.
So we want to start with a slight disclaimer:
Press release distribution services can be a useful tool to pitch your press release. But it only works when you know how to write an effective press release.
But we must confess that we prefer the personal and tailored approach to the media pitch – after all, public relations is about connection.
PR distribution services do have their place – especially when you want to get an announcement out to many different types of media in a number of countries. If you are looking to get a story on the local news – it’ll take a different strategy.
Remember though, using a press release distribution service does NOT guarantee you will get media coverage. It just guarantees your release will get to your target media.
A small number of major players have historically dominated the press release distribution industry, but with the rise of digital publishing platforms, a number of new firms have come on the scene.
Before you throw your cash at a PR distribution service, take a look at our rundown of the top 12 agencies.
These are widely regarded as the best in the world.
Each has a slightly different offer but you can be sure one will be the right fit for your business – whether you have a news story or a feature.
With that, let’s get into it.
- Entry option: $299
- Main features and benefits: They are the most known press release distribution service. From a journalist’s perspective – they are the establishment. They have more than 4,000 websites, nearly 3,000 media outlets, and more than 550 news content systems.
The network also includes more than 39,000 PR Newswire for Journalist members at more than 9,000 media organizations. This is the Rolls Royce option.
- A good fit for medium-sized businesses who want to get some serious media reach. Note: there is an annual membership for the service. If you want the best you’ve got to pay top dollar.
- Rating 9/10
- Entry option: $99
- Excellent for low-cost online reach – you can select the sectors you want to target. Increase release visibility in relevant search results across major search engines – Google, Yahoo!, Bing, etc. – by permanently hosting your press release on PRWeb.com.
PR Web has the largest website distribution with press releases being sent to over 30,000 bloggers and journalists.
- A great price point for small businesses who want to take a low-risk approach to PR online.
- Entry option: $199
- Guaranteed postings on 75 media sites and a press release sent out to one targeted industry list. Write a press release of up to 400 words. eReleases provides wire distribution via the Associated Press in the US reaching 30,000 journalists.
Through eReleases, your press releases are also permanently stored in PR Newswire for Journalists.
- Good for businesses who want to know that their press release WILL get some exposure – that is not always the case, even with the best press release distribution services.
- Entry option: $190
- RealWire gives you unlimited words on your press release – although don’t forget more words doesn’t mean you have a better story! They have a huge list of industry and geographical categories and will target your release to all relevant areas.
Each press release distribution includes a provision of up to three images and up to three documents all with relevant links. Their distribution is through M2 PressWIRE. They also offer to index by Google News and other aggregators and search engines.
- Ideal for small businesses – especially in the UK – who want to try PR distribution out for the first time.
- Entry option: Price withheld
- Sends your release to more than 3,500 of the most-visited news websites, online services, and news aggregators.You’ll also receive follow-up reports on the performance of your press release. You can distribute your press release across all major wire services in the UK and Ireland—ensuring your story reaches news desks across traditional and new media platforms.
- Really only suitable for bigger companies and corporates. Their clients are huge names.
- Entry option: $250
- Presswire claims to send your press release directly to the journalists most likely to write about them. They do this by tailor-making bespoke lists for each individual release from their live Media Contacts Database of more than half a million editorial opportunities, across Regional and National Newspapers, Magazines (Trade and Consumer), TV, Radio and Online.
Press releases can be sent through their website by registered Presswire users, or directly if you email them in. They can be sent as pure text or HTML, complete with images and embedded video at no extra cost.
- Good for small businesses who want to spend a bit more to guarantee their press releases are actually going to journalists who will care about them. They also test send each release to ensure it always reaches the recipients’ Inbox folders, avoiding overzealous spam/junk filters.
- Entry option: $49
- This rock bottom price includes syndication to 350+ media sites. Distribution to Associated Press journalists/editors and submission to major search engines and news search engines. You can also add multimedia including photos, videos, and audio.
- This is perfect for startups on tight budgets who want to dip their toe in the water with a first press release but still know that they are hitting all the most important media aggregators.
- 7.5/10 (US only)
- Entry option: Price withheld
- Press releases distributed via Business Wire’s patented NX network reach more than 89,000 media outlets in 162 countries. Distribution options include 193 industry and trade categories, or a global circuit delivered worldwide in more than 20 languages.
This comprehensive service allows you to reach digital, print and broadcast newsrooms, individual reporters and editors, consumers, financial and news portals, websites, news syndicators, bloggers, social media networks and more.
- Good for B2B and companies with a strong corporate brand. Less useful for small businesses or consumer-facing teams.
- Entry option: Price withheld
- This is a slightly different approach to press release distribution. Rather than a pure PR distribution service, PRGloo is a complete media relations platform combining easy to use tools with analysis. That means they have relationship management software (never lose a media contact again), systems for creating content, distributing your news stories and reporting on their success.
- If you’re a business owner who is really looking for a one-stop shop to take control of your entire PR process then PRGloo could be for you. But if you just want press release distribution service this will be overkill.
- 9/10 (if you want the lot) 6/10 if you just want press release distribution
- Entry option: $49
- The starter option gives you one release that will be sent to Google News and published on 80 major websites including the likes of FOX/CBS/ABC/NBC.
The initial price also includes social media distribution and a post on DigitalJournal.com. The team will optimize each release for SEO too.
- A great option for small businesses on a budget but be careful that you actually provide the team with a decent story. Like all of these press release distribution services – you will only get major pick up if you have a decent news story.
- Entry option: $49
- For the starter package, your news release (on a two-day turnaround) can appear on search engines Google, Bing & Yahoo and will be sent to 50+ premium news sites. You get to include your news in up to five industry categories and attach up to four images or documents. You’ll also be able to access statistics to measure your campaign.
- A great option for small businesses, mainly because you can start with this really cheap approach. If you have success they have another four different price points, stepping up to the premium option linking in with PR Newswire. Their pricing is super transparent and easy to use. We love this one.
- Entry option: $140
- These guys are big on targeting and know that there’s no point in spamming journalists who aren’t relevant to your story. Pressat uses tried and tested methods to precisely target media contacts based on beat, geographic region, industry and journalist back-history (previously covered stories).
They also serve more than 33,000 opt-in subscribers with customized news alerts, ranging from journalists and editors right through to analysts and bloggers. All press releases are syndicated to Bing News, DowJones, NewsNow, Thomson Reuters and major news agencies worldwide.
- This is a great choice for any business that has put in the time to develop a serious PR campaign with tailored messages and audience profiles. If you’ve done the hard work these guys will help you secure the coverage you’re after.
What press release distribution service will you choose?
So there you have it.
The 12 best press release distribution companies in 2019.
As you can see they all offer similar types of service at comparable price points. A lot will be down to the personal relationship you have with each company and your account manager.
My advice is to try a few single press release distribution products, and compare the quality for yourself.
You may find some are better at B2B and trade media, while others outperform on the consumer and the mainstream media front.
And when you’re buying these services try not to be wowed by salespeople telling you how they will GUARANTEE your business 1000s of pieces of coverage. That’s rarely going to be the case.
Yes, they have massive reach, but ultimately the success, or not, of using a press release distribution service all boils down to the strength of the story you are providing to them.
Use our 46 public relations examples and get inspired to write your own killer press release.
To find out how to create one of those sign up for our free press release template below.